Also posted on my sketchblog: [link]
Today I'm presenting the first part in a series of re-designs of Batman's many "sons."
I've been thinking about Batman a lot since I watched The Dark Knight Rises
(which I loved). My enjoyment of the movie really just led me down a path of remembering how much I love Batman and his extended 'family.' I started doodling Batman characters in my spare time, and it wasn't too long before I started messing with their look.
My doodles started taking shape when I started to think of them as an assignment for a hypothetical cartoon series. These re-designs imagine a future timeline combining elements from the comic book continuity (pre-New 52) and the Bruce Timm animated universe. For context as to how far in the future this timeline exists--Damian Wayne is in his mid-20s. More on him in a future installment!
For now, let's kick things off with Dick Grayson
- Age: Late 30's
- Dick is the heart of the Batman family. He stepped out of Batman's shadow with ease and confidence, and is his own man. Even-handed, approachable, and reliable, he's a de facto big brother and field commander to the other heroes.
- Color symbolism is very important in these costumes. I kept Dick in black, blue, and yellow, because it symbolizes that he's completely graduated from Robin status, and he is truly Batman's peer.
- I brought the collar back as a nod to the first Nightwing costume, which was itself a nod to the Flying Graysons' costumes. It's a subtle reminder of Dick's non-vigilante heritage.
- Batman Beyond-style retractable wings allow for gliding.
- Batons are hard light constructs which can materialize almost instantaneously.
- The crescent eyes, scalloped wings/capes, and hard light weapons will be unifying motifs through out these re-designs. I definitely didn't want to stray into the realm of matching uniforms for these characters, but I did want a few elements to tie everything together visually. Additionally, the wings and hard-light weapons are there to help push the idea that this is a future timeline.